Jacob Comer Sams 1818 - 1897 Bunc Co NC Bunc Co NC
“Jacob Comer Sams lived in Flag Pond (then Washington County, now Unicoi County), Tennessee in 1856, when he served as one of the founding trustees of Mars Hill College. Also, according to Ammons’ history, J .C. Sams gave a second time to settle the college debt of $1,100 in 1859. Jacob Comer Sams married Mary A. Davis. In 1863, during the Civil War, they purchased a large farm south of the college in north Buncombe County. There they constructed their two-story log home*, in what is today the Piney Mountain Community. Although the couple had no children, they fostered their nephews and nieces, Davis and Sams, helping most of them attend Mars Hill College. Nephew John Robert Sams would become president at the school in 1871-72. Later, in 1923, John Robert Sams and daughter, Mrs. John Anderson, gave their fifteen acres of land to the college, the southern third of the campus grounds, including the land for Men’s Hill. Uncle Jacob gave his personal library to the college, which was designated, “Uncle Jacob’s Library.” He last served as college trustee in 1888. They are interred in the Morgan Hill Baptist Church Cemetery in north Buncombe County.”
- Richard Sams Dillingham, “Mars Hill College Beginnings: History Briefs, Connecting the Dots to Founders and Churches,” Mars Hill College, 2007, p. 9.
Notes: *. . . what later became the Murray home place. Later, the logs were purchased from the Guy Murray family and re-assembled on Sugar Creek of Democrat." - R. S. Dillingham, p. 16.